AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! After preparing the equipment, it is now time to boil the sugar. Boiling sugar must be done in a safety way. It’s because boiled sugar is very hot and dangerous if it accidentally spilled on your skin.
Below are the steps you should follow when boiling sugar:
- Place sugar and water into the pot
- Dissolve the sugar and water together by stirring the mixture until it reaches the point of simmering
- Ensure that no large clumps have formed on the bottom which will not dissolve properly and causing the sugar to caramelize or create crystallization
- Once the sugar has dissolve and is simmering remove any scum, which has formed on top of the syrup by skimming it off with a fine sieve or tea strainer
- Brush down the sides of the pot with a clean brush and water particularly in the early stages of the boiling process
- After the syrup reaches 145°C it is advisable to check your syrup
- Keep brushing down the sides of the pot and remove scum
- Do not wash down the pot with too much water because it will dilute the sugar syrup
- Excessive water may extend the boiling time and increasing the risk of browning or crystallization
- Do not stir the syrup after it has reached boiling point
It is important to cook the syrup rapidly, to ensure a quick turnover of the syrup that is exposed to the...