AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! All guest rooms must only be accessed after following the house procedures that apply. These procedures relate to service delivery and security. They also function to help avoid embarrassment to both guests and staff.
Every hotel will have its own standard procedures for accessing and entering a guest room. Even if these are not provided in writing, they will nonetheless exist in practice. You must find out what applies where you work and adhere to their protocols.
The process for entering a room listed on your worksheet as a vacant room or a Departed room should be the same as for entering a Stay room. Just in case someone is in the room: we don’t want to disturb or embarrass anyone in any room just be entering without notice or entering with almost no notice.
The following describes the procedures for entering a guest room:
- Knock on door (quite loudly) – use knuckles not keys or any other item as it could mark the door and call out, “Housekeeping!”.
- Count to five, if there is no answer, knock again, and then use your key to enter.
- Take one step into the room and announce out “Good morning/afternoon, Housekeeping to service your room.”
- If the guest is still in bed, undressed or distressed, quickly and quietly leave the room.
- If the guest is awake and up, say “Housekeeping, would you like your room serviced?”.
- Comply with their request – you may be invited to service the room, just do a quick tidy, replace the towels, soap and leave, or asked to come back at a later time.
- Once you have gained access to the room, the door should be left wide open – to provide notice to a returning guest that someone is in their room.
- The trolley should be parked across the entrance, or near the entrance to the room (according to house policy). This allows the Floor Housekeeper or other management staff to identify where room attendants are and makes it easier to obtain items from the trolley. It is standard procedure in the majority of establishments for trolleys to be left outside the room being cleaned, and never to be taken inside a guest room.
Where the trolley is allowed to be taken into the room, a large sign should be placed outside the door, reading ‘Cleaning in Progress’. This prevents the guest from returning to their room and being startled to find an employee in there and again to enable easy location of staff by management.
Read more: How to Identify Rooms to be Cleaned
Nurturing You to Grow®
Written by: Alan Hickman, Nick Hyland
Subject Matter: Clean and prepare rooms for incoming guest