AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! As a staff, you may be required to undertake the entire cleaning process for glassware, crockery and cutlery. But, this is not applied to all restaurant or hotel. There’s a wide variation between restaurant or hotel in this regard.
The basic procedure is to use a glass washing machine with the procedure being:
- Empty glasses and other containers of all contents
- Load the glasses into a glass washing tray. They have to be put in upside down
- Wash the glasses in the machine when required or when the trays are full. Use the wash cycle preferred by the establishment
- Take the glasses out of the machine and either allow to air dry or hand-polish according to house requirements
- Put the clean glasses in their nominated storage areas ready for use.
When cleaning glassware using washing machine, there are some points you need to note:
- The correct wash cycle is chosen – where options exist
- No slices of lemon etc. are allowed to block up the plug hole in the glass washing machine
- The temperature of the water being used is a minimum of 70ºC
- The machine is being supplied with the appropriate glass washing detergent, appropriately diluted (where applicable).
Cleaning crockery and cutlery
The basic cleaning procedure for crockery and cutlery is:
- Remove visible food debris. For example, scrape the plates
- Rinse with warm water to remove loose dirt
- Wash with a detergent
- Rinse again to remove the detergent and debris
- Apply a sanitizer to kill bacteria
- Rinse to remove the sanitizer
- Allow to air dry.
Air drying is the preferred option as it eliminates using a cloth to dry surfaces, which may inadvertently introduce bacteria to the surface that has just been cleaned and sanitized.
Nurturing You to Grow!
Written by: Alan Hickman, Nick Hyland
Subject Matter: Provide food and beverage services