AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! Economic viability determines all that is produced in the kitchen. Food and labour costs are the biggest issues in the kitchen. Some dishes will have food cost that are 40% of total selling price, some will be 15%.
Some dishes sell well so they tend to have lower costs. Specials where the chef is trying new dishes can carry higher cost. Several questions need to be answered before you start producing food.
For example, if you are going to produce 500 portions, you need to ensure certain things like:
- Do I have the room to store them?
- How long will it take the business to use this many portions?
- Is it better to produce in smaller quantities?
- Is it cost effective to do this with the staff employed?
- Is it better than what I can purchase from outside?
Many questions can be asked when looking at producing food. Is it economically viable for the business to produce their own or is it cheaper to purchase from the outside. When the product is purchased from the outside, is there sufficient space to store the product until it is needed. You need to make sure if the product is in chilled, frozen or hot condition.
Nurturing You to Grow!
Written by: Alan Hickman, Garry Blackburn
Subject Matter: Prepare Appetizers and Salads