AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! A conflict is a state of opposition between persons, ideas or interests. For all employees, it is far better for them to be able to identify swiftly the potential for conflict and try to resolve the situation before things get worse. Ignoring the warning signs and failing to act only inflames the situation.
Firstly, let’s look at some situations where a conflict may arise in the hospitality workplace. There may be many reasons why conflict may flare up amongst colleagues. Some reasons include:
- Pressure of work.
- Lack of, or bad communication which may cause misunderstandings.
- Prejudices – issues of ethnicity, gender, body shape, and age.
- Ineffective working systems where the internal operations of the venue cause the problem.
- Difference in opinions. We are all entitled to different views.
- Difference in beliefs. It would be a pretty boring world if we all believed in the same thing!
- This can be caused by barriers to communication, not listening properly, putting a different interpretation on a word or phrase than what was intended.
- Team member not pulling their weight – staff not contributing 100% to a team effort.
At all times during a shift, you should be aware of various ‘warning signs’ which may be displayed by either another colleague or by a patron that...