AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! When vegetables have been purchased from reputable suppliers, the enterprise can be assured that the food received will be safe. Still, it is better to not assume that they will always be safe.
Constant checking is the only way of minimizing the possibility of reducing the risk of causing adverse reaction to the food you are serving your customers, even if the supplier is reputable and working to a high standard. Care still needs to be taken to ensure that all vegetables and fruits are clean and safe to consume.
- All fruits need to be checked and cleaned before peeling.
- Equipment used must be cleaned a dry before using to clean and chop fruits.
- Excess fruits can be used to make fruit coulis
- These can be frozen in convenient sizes that can be used in peak times.
- When excess fruits have been frozen they can also be used to be incorporated into pies and used in flavoring creams for use in ice creams and mousses.
- All vegetables need to be clean of dirt or soil, if not then they need to be washed before being peeled.
- When washed and peeled the vegetables need to be securely stored in controlled environment.
- All equipment used in the processing procedure need to be clean and safe to use
- Leafy vegetables need to be washed and dried before being secured in a controlled environment. Drying leafy vegetables can be achieved by spinning in perforated container and allowing the centrifugal force to remove excess water
- When cutting and slicing vegetables efficiencies can be obtained if offcuts are saved and to be used in other dishes, such as stocks, soups, and casseroles.
- Aging vegetables can be cooked and the water or broth can be used as vegetable stock. These stocks can be bases for soups and other wet dishes. But, avoid to use rotting vegetables that have gone past their use by date or time.
Fruits and vegetables need to be peeled and cut before you use them. These can be cut to any shape, size desired by the enterprise. Care needs to be taken that waste is minimized.
When cutting by hand care must be taken to ensure all equipment is clean. Containers used to store prepared fruit and vegetables need to be clean and dry and in good condition.
Any machines used to cut, slice and dice fruits and vegetables need to clean before use. Care must be taken when assembling machines. All employees must be trained to operate machines before being allowed to operate machinery by themselves.
When machines are finished with it is the responsibility of the operator to clean dry and re assemble the machine. This ensures that parts are not lost and the machine can be operated again. Machinery is expensive to purchase but they are efficient to operate and can save labor cost and time. If parts are lost then these become expensive junk if not cared for professionally.
Having everything cut to the size means the product will cook more evenly and at the same time. It is more pleasing to the eye to have consistent sizes.
Preparing fruits and vegetables in a proper way is essential to maximize utilization when processing them into dishes. Also, this will help you to minimize food waste from the kitchen.
For further reference, read more on The Correct Food Handling Techniques for Dairy Products.
Nurturing You to Grow®
Written by: Alan Hickman, Garry Blackburn
Subject Matter: Prepare and store food