AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! Before boiling sugar, check the quality of your ingredients to ensure that they’re not containing any impurities. Also, weight everything correctly as this can make a big difference to the boiled sugar. After that, set up your working station for boiling sugar.
When preparing the work station, please keep these things in mind:
- Being organized and prepared will help you work in a safe and orderly fashion. Hot sugar can be extremely dangerous if it is not handled correctly
- Always have a bowl of cold water with a few ice cubes in it close at hand, access to cold running water and a properly stocked first aid kit
- A traditional copper pot has a copper handle, these get dangerously hot and you will need plenty of thick dry cloths available or a clean oven mite to pick up and handle these pots safely
- The pot should be just large enough to hold the required quantity, to small and your syrup may boil over
- Clean your copper pot with a tablespoon of salt and the juice of half a lemon. Rub to remove any oxidization or impurities on the inside surface of your pot. Then, rinse thoroughly and dry
Nurturing You to Grow!
Written by: Alan Hickman, Garry Blackburn
Subject Matter: Prepare and Display Sugar Work