AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! Every hotel will have its own standard procedures for accessing and entering a guest room. Even if these are not provided in writing, they will nonetheless exist in practice. You must find out what applies where you work and adhere to their protocols.
The process for entering a room listed on your worksheet as a vacant room or a Departed room should be the same as for entering a Stay room. Just in case someone is in the room: we don’t want to disturb or embarrass anyone in any room because of entering without notice or entering with almost no notice.
The following describes the procedures for entering a guest room:
- Knock on door (quite loudly) – use knuckles not keys or any other item as it could mark the door and call out, “Housekeeping!”
- Count to five. If no answer, knock again, and then use your key to enter
- Take one step into the room and announce out “Good morning/afternoon, Housekeeping to service your room.”
- If the guest is still in bed, undressed or distressed, quickly and quietly leave the room
- If the guest is awake and up, say “Housekeeping, would you like your room serviced?”
- Comply with their request – you may be invited to service the room, just do a quick tidy, replace the towels, soap and leave, or asked to come back at a later time