AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! After customer approved the condition of the wine bottle you brought, you may open and serve it to the customer. As a reminder, opening wine bottles may present a slight danger of cutting yourself. So, you need to open it carefully and safely.
Here the steps of removing wine’s cork for silver service:
- Cut the seal with the knife on the waiter’s friend – take care not to cut yourself
- Maintain a firm grip on the bottle while cutting the seal – to make sure you don’t drop the bottle
- Once the top of the seal is cut off, place the loose piece into your pocket
- Place the very tip of the waiter’s friend into the centre of the cork – then apply pressure onto the handle and twist the corkscrew in parallel to the glass neck of the bottle
- Twist the corkscrew until only two twists on the corkscrew are left visible – if you twist the worm too far, the point of the corkscrew will push through the cork and send little pieces of cork into the wine
- Secure the lever to the lip of the bottle – support the lever firmly using pressure from your wrist with your index finger or thumb
- Pull the body of the waiter’s friend towards you, ensuring your thumb continues to apply pressure to the hooked lever against the bottle
- Keep pulling until the cork is 3/4 way out of the bottle
- Using your index finger and thumb, twist the cork out of the bottle – make sure you do not ‘pop’ the cork but remove it gently
- Remove the cork from the corkscrew
- Red wine corks may be presented to the guest – white wine corks may be put in the pocket of your trousers or jacket
- The waiter’s friend can be likewise placed in the pocket of your trousers or jacket – or left at the waiter’s station or bar.
Nurturing You to Grow!
Written by: Alan Hickman, Nick Hyland
Subject Matter: Provide Silver Service