AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! The job of tour guide is a complex and demanding one. Tour guides are often referred to as ‘the mortar that binds the tour together’. Being a tour guide also means that you are the mediator and communicator of the group.
Being a mediator is needed in order to:
- Mediate problems and/or conflict within the group – or between individuals in the group
- Mediate issues between the tour and the place where the tour is being conducted – which may relate to issues such as:
- Timing of activities
- Access to exhibits/areas
- Duration of demonstrations
- Movement of groups
- Actions of individuals within the tour group.
Tourist Guides are often required to be the ‘social lubricant’ (regarded as a ‘social facilitator’) between members of a group to handle disputes and facilitate individual engagement with the tour (that is, to draw out those who appear alone, reluctant to participate or unhappy): high levels of social and interpersonal skills are essential for those who deliver tours.
All Tourist Guides must be a ‘people person’. They must be able to communicate with everyone and build a good relationship before, during, and after the tour. The role of tour guide as a communicator may involve:
- Welcoming people to the tour – genuinely,...