AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! Communication with colleagues is different from that provided to customers. However, the objective is the same. That is to ensure each customer has an enjoyable experience at your establishment.
Given the complexity of silver service, communication amongst colleagues, especially other waiting staff is extremely important. Teamwork and understanding of each other’s needs are vital. The saying ‘a team is only as strong as its weakest link’ is very true. A customer does not see all the staff involved in the provision of silver service. They only see the end result. Therefore if a problem exists, it doesn’t matter who is to blame, a problem still exists.
Communication between staff members in any organization is essential, and this is no different in a sliver service environment.
The customer does not care who provides different aspects of their experience, their only concern is that the offering matches their expectations. The tasks and activities within a food and beverage outlet are interlinked with the duties performed by one person directly impacting those of another. Therefore clear and concise communication is a must.
One of the most common types of communication between silver service waiting staff is when assistance is required.
Normally assistance is required when:
- A large amount of customers arrive at one time
- A large number of meals or drinks need to be delivered to a table
- Tables need to be cleared before the next course can be served
- Plates, platters or silver service cutlery required by waiting staff need to be prepared or placed near or on guest table
- A customer has a question or complaints which cannot be resolved by a staff member
- Customers require the bill.
As can be seen, there are a number of reasons why communication is so important in a silver service environment.
Read also: 8 Basic Procedures of Food Handling and Food Safety
Nurturing You to Grow®
Written by: Alan Hickman, Nick Hyland
Subject Matter: Provide silver service